Thursday, April 22, 2010

Lady Gaga's New Video



As Lady Gaga and Beyonce's video for their song Telephone hit the internet last month, news sites, blogs, and commentators flocked to their keyboards to offer up their best interpretation of the video. Of all of these, I have found Aylin Zafar's "Deconstructing Lady Gaga's "Telephone" Video" - posted on The Atlantic website - to be the best I have encountered thus far. Zafar's analysis clearly discusses the video's statement on gender constructs and is not one to miss!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the ideas that article presented about Lady Gaga's video. It is interesting to read what people think about her videos since Gaga makes it a point that she is trying to be different and not like other pop stars out there. Although, like the article pointed out, Gaga has lost a noticeable amount of weight and dances around in this video almost naked. By doing this, isn't she feeding into the culture she is trying so hard to resist? I thought Zafar's analysis of Gaga's video tied in with a lot of our discussion on gender roles. I thought Zafar's point about Gaga and Beyonce breaking the stereotypical housewife role was especially interesting.

    ReplyDelete